ISKOI: Digital libraries and Semantic Web: Trento: Sept 8-11
pujar at igidr.ac.in
Tue Jan 20 13:42:57 CET 2009
*** Sorry for Cross Postings, if any ***
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR DIGITAL LIBRARIES AND THE SEMANTIC WEB 2009
The International Conferences on Digital Libraries and the Semantic
Web 2009 (ICSD2009) will take place from September 8-11 at the
University of Trento.
The first ICSD was organized in 2007 by the Indian Statistical
Institute in Bangalore. The great interest in the conference showed
the need to create a communication area between the two communities.
The goal is to facilitate the creation digital library application
which could be brickstones of the semantic web.
-- Call for papers
Digital libraries, in the central view of the term, focus on storing
and organizing digital objects and providing access to these objects
through professional or user-generated metadata or content-based
search (full text, image content, full musical score). In an expanded
view, Digital Libraries also support annotation, generation or
editing of digital objects and provide tools for processing digital
objects. The Semantic Web focuses on the formal representation of
data for more precise retrieval and, more importantly, for reasoning
so that many often disparate items of data can be combined to
directly answer a user's question or to devise a plan of action.
ICSD addresses two main questions:
(1) How can digital libraries support Semantic Web functionality?
(2) How can Semantic Web technology improve digital libraries?
Ultimately the goal is an environment in which all functionality is
available to the user without the perception of different systems or
system boundaries. Contributions are sought that address one or both
of the main questions or steps towards the ultimate system. Some
example topics are listed below, but the purpose of this list is just
to stimulate thinking.
Specific topics that address one or both of the main questions:
* Digital objects that provide formal representation of data ready
for reasoning, possibly in addition to text, images, or sound.
* Knowledge acquisition: Editing tools that assist subject experts in
the creation of formal representations of data.
* Digital objects that interact with the user or software agents.
* Standards and specifications for digital objects
* Organization and retrieval of software agents and Semantic Web services.
* Semantic search. Use of ontologies and knowledge bases (such as
topic maps) to improve search for digital objects.
* Question answering from text, from data/knowledge bases, or a combination.
* Next generation OPACs
* The structure and creation of ontologies to support these functions.
* Using the intellectual capital available in traditional KOS such as
Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC), UDC, or MeSH in the construction
of ontologies that support truly semantic search and reasoning.
* Vocabulary and taxonomy development
* Multilingual issues in Digital Libraries.
* Semantics of bibliographical databases
* Metadata standards, Interoperability and Crosswalks
* Digital Library and Semantic Web Projects and Case Studies
We invite original papers in English on all relevant topics as
mentioned above. Papers will be reviewed based on originality of
work, quality and relevance to the main theme of the conference. Peer
reviewed and accepted papers will be published in the conference
proceedings. The papers should follow the submission instructions
provided on the conference website.
The conference will explore the area of digital libraries and the
semantic web through tutorials, workshops, demonstrations, Invited
talks and presentations. The conference will also serve as a working
platform for communities to discuss and agree on joint work. We also
encourage the submission of workshop proposals for this purpose.
For more information, please go to the website:
http:/www.icsd-conference.org for further details
-- India contacts
Devika Madalli (Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore)
E-mail: devika at drtc.isibang.ac.in
ARD Prasad, Ph.D.
Documentation Research & Traning Centre (DRTC)
Indian Statistical Institute (ISI)
8th Mile Mysore Road
Bangalore 560 059
Phone (Off): +91-80-28483002 Ext. 496
ard at drtc.isibang.ac.in
Home Page: http://drtc.isibang.ac.in/DRTC/ardcv.html
With kind regards,
Dr Shamprasad M. Pujar
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research
Gen Vaidya Marg, Film City Road, Goregaon (East)
MUMBAI-400 065, India
Phone: 91-22-2841 6547 ; 2840 0919 Ext: 547
E-mail: pujar at igidr.ac.in
More information about the ISKO