ISKOI: British chapter meeting: London: Mar 26

Claudio Gnoli gnoli at aib.it
Fri Mar 2 11:04:15 CET 2007

"If it rained knowledge..."
The inaugural meeting of the British Chapter of ISKO

16:00 - 18:00

University College London, Gower St, WC1E 6BT
Henry Morley Building, Room 4, first floor

UK members of the International Society for Knowledge Organization
(ISKO) have recently formed a UK Chapter. ISKO UK aims to provide a
focus around which professionals involved in knowledge organization
can explore their common territory and discuss their different
perspectives, irrespective of discipline or job title, and across the
commercial, industrial and academic sectors.

-- Agenda

16:00-16:15    Welcome and introduction to ISKO UK.

16:15-17:00    "If it rained knowledge...".
A talk by Alan Gilchrist, followed by questions.

The quotation in the title, attributed to Samuel Johnson, goes on to
say "If it rained knowledge I'd hold out my hand; but I would not
give myself the trouble to go in quest of it." This neatly sums up
what appears to be the attitude of many of today's managers and CIOs.
Knowledge acquisition is made to look so easy by the search engine
vendors, but in reality many websites and intranets are failing to
meet the most basic needs of their users. Meanwhile, "information
professionals" - librarians, information scientists, records
managers, webmasters, knowledge engineers continue (with honourable
exceptions) to work in their silos, conversing in their own jargon.
Alan Gilchrist will suggest that these groups need to join forces to
have a significant effect on the problems of information overload,
information literacy and the growing need for interoperability within
and between organizations.

17:00-17:45    Open invitation to discuss the direction and focus of ISKO UK.

17:45-18:00    Summary and closing remarks.

18:00-19:00    ISKO UK Planning Meeting (potential members welcome)

Links to map and related websites in http://www.iskouk.org/inaugural.htm